Monday, October 18, 2010

Step one of the Bell Movement project

As I have mentioned, I have a 800lb old cast iron bell sitting in my backyard now, and well, it needs a permanent home.  We were finally able to get started on that.

Thursday evening we started marking off the space for the concrete pad and digging out some of the soil (until it got too dark to see)  Friday night we were able to dig out the remaining soil. Tamp everything down good and solid, Build and stake the form, and buy all the supplies.


that set us up to be ready to go Saturday morning.

Saturday morning comes along and we get out there bright and early and start mixing concrete.  All the math I had done told me I needed (8) 80lb bags to fill the 4'x4' slab.  I had bought 10 just in case.

The mixing went fairly well, each bag I did I got a little better at getting it mixed right and easier.  It was weird how with the same amount of water ( we were measuring 1 gallon of water to each 80 lb bag) some bags came out drier than others.  But we worked with it.

About halfway through pouring we added some rebar into it for strength

and kept pouring.

Used a sander against the form to shake the concrete and get bubbles out of it.  Worked the top smooth and with a little time we got pretty good at getting the slush to come to the top.  I have to say I think it looks pretty good for my first ever concrete slab pour.


hard to see in the picture, but we stuck a leaf in the concrete and also had M write his inits in it.

Going to give it a few days to cure up right and then we move on to phase 2 which is stacking brick.

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment