Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Double-D Garage goes METAL!!!

pretend that you are hearing Ozzy playing crazy train or some other song with a wicked guitar riff in it.....


but no, I dont mean that kind of metal, I mean hot melting, sparks flying kind of metal.

had to do some welding this week for Work.  Had a console to repair that kept breaking the casters and we decided to go to something beefier.  Current casters threaded into a nut welded to the steel frame, but the problem was it put all the weight on 4 posts that just weren't big enough for the weight this thing gets piled with.

So we cut the nuts off the bottom, grind the metal down, and welded some flat steel stock so that we could use a larger caster plate.

I also had some support bars to make for the back of a triple wide rack to allow it to be farther out from the wall in the truck and yet let us still mount it to the wall.  This was 1" square tubing, cut to length, welded into a frame, then welded to the rack.

It has been awhile since I welded and it did take a little work to get back up on the horse, but once I was up there I did fairly well.  Its definitely something that is a technique and obviously I do not have near enough hours to have this down pat, but hey, thats why I got a welder, so I could learn.

Its a lot of cutting and grinding and cutting and grinding and cutting and grinding and then a little welding. I did learn a lot by doing this about what worked in different situations and what didnt so hopefully I can turn that into something worthwhile in the long run.

my little welding area (temporary setup obviously)


My welding bench, or at least what I used as one (with one set of the support bars on it)

my cutting station

the console, repaired, just needs some paint

the rack with the support bars on it


needs a little work with a rattle can and no one will know these are not original to the units...

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment