Friday, January 28, 2011

When good goes bad, or fixing other people's mistakes, or the pro bono woodworking shop, or ....

yet again, I have another piece for work I am going to fix


Its a trim piece for the expando on our truck.  Carpet covered 3/8" plywood with some dados in it to compensate for screw heads that stick out of the frame.  It was caught on a piece and the truck was blown out while it was caught so it just tore this off.

I looked to see if I had any 3/8" plywood and I didn't.  Hmm, what to use.


HMM, I had this stick of MDF that was almost perfect.  Trimmed it to width and it still had a leftover saw kerf cut in it from a project from years past so what to do.  Oh yeah! Cut the wood off, turn it over and glue it back to the main piece, clamp it up.

now I had a piece that was close enough to the right width to sit under carpet on some corner trim.  Now I had to make it 3/8" thick.  Well thats easy I have 2 or there ways to do that.  Then I used a single blade in the table saw walking back and forth and made the dado slots in it.


now at least I have a replacement piece that is longer than the broke off piece so now I can take it there, make a kerf in the wood past the tear and splice in my new piece.  I'll update when the install is done and final pics are here.

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment