Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Great Bandsaw Mystery

I have snapped 3 bandsaw blades in the last 4 months or so on my bandsaw.  I will admit that I am not the fastest person in the world, but even I have gotten the picture that there is something wrong.  So what did I do.

First I did some searches over the Web of the issues I was having to see what I turned up.

I purchased "The Bandsaw Book" and read through it quite a few times

Then did more searches on some of the fixes and alignments recommended in the book.

Finally I started tearing down the bandsaw so I could figure out either what was broken, or what I was doing wrong.


Got the saw torn down and started cleaning things up and checking a few things. and I found a bearing that would not spin like the others.  5 of them spin easy and for a long time when you turn them.  One stops quickly.  I pulled it out and messed with it and sure enough, it has issues.


so off I got and order a new Bearing from McMaster  (one of my favorite suppliers in the world) and while I was at it I ordered a new belt, Tires and a coupe of odds and ends from grizzly

If it wasnt for the Snowstorm that came through last week I would have the parts and have them all installed by now.  Because of that storm I have nothing and will hopefully get the bandsaw up and running the in the next few weeks.

Next 2 things to do with the bandsaw once it works again?  1) brush for the bottom wheel,  2) dust port for below the table

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment