Tuesday, February 28, 2017

New Hunting experience

As I have mentioned, the LOML is a wonderful person loved by all…

And she knows lots of people…

Lots of good people….

And we got a offer to go duck hunting down south of us with some of those good people...

Caught up now?

Good.


It was quite a haul from our hacienda to theirs.  Luckily M got out of school early on that Friday and we were able to beat some of the traffic out of town.   We did not make it before it got dark, but we were pretty close.

This was where we were going to be staying for the next couple of days.


Beautiful isn’t it?


No, it didnt look like that when we got there because I said it was dark when we got there.  I took this picture later......

you people have got to pay more attention.....

Friday evening we had a great meal that included duck and quail and a few other dead animals.  Very tasty.  Those of us people who don’t know all these important people got to know everyone there, as there were 4 families of people there not including us.  We worked out the schedule for the morning, picked out some rooms to crash in and crashed out.

Up early the next morning before the sun was up, got setup in waders, grabbed guns and ammo and we were off.  There were 6 of us headed out that day on 3 different ponds, M went with one family member and I went with another so that we would have people to teach us newbies how to do this.

B and I got to our pond, the blind was more towards the middle, so we trudged through the water (honestly I was focused on not falling face first into the water) over to the blind.  Took out the bags of decoys and B showed me how to throw them out.  We got settled at just the right time and waited. 


We had a good bit of action, but nothing really biting.  The one duck came in and landed in the perfect spot.  I popped up to shoot it and nothing. 

DAMMIT

Safety was on and I am not yet use to a safety by the trigger on these shotguns.  I am more use to the thumb safety on a rifle

Luckily B saw me flinch and knew I wasn’t going to get it, so he shot it. 

I was just glad we didn’t loose the duck

The longer we sat there I became really glad as we had nothing else come our way. 

The other 2 groups got 3 ducks so not much for that day, but enough that we could breast them out, wrap them up in bacon with a jalapeno and cook them up. 

That afternoon we shot skeet on their Olympic Skeet range…

Yep, that’s what I said.


We also got a visit from another relative who brought another gun for us to shoot.


That evening we setup in a couple of blinds to see what we could see.  M and C didn’t see anything, I saw 1 buck in my blind, way too small to get excited about.

For dinner that evening we had a duck and sausage gumbo that was to die for and I think M and I ate our weight in that stuff.  Told my beloved we were going to have to figure out how to make that.

Sunday morning it was duck hunting again, went to different ponds this time, still with the same teams.

B and I got to the pond, got the decoys from the trees and walked over to the blind.  This pond was much shallower and smaller than the one the day before.  We got the decoys thrown out and got set just in time.

We ended up with 6 duck that day, and had quite a bit of action.  Could have had a few more if I was a better shot. 


M and C came home with 2 ducks that day, so all in all it was a good day.


We were headed home that day, but before we left we went through the last of our skeet shells and all the clay targets in the houses.   I will say by the time we were done we were both much better at skeet than we started.  But some of us (me) didn’t really have a choice but to go up…..


-->
We really enjoyed the weekend and the hospitality of this family, the way they took care of us, showed us the ropes, everything.  We really had a great time and I hope we can repay them someday in someway



Cherry Pie!

DD

1 comment:

  1. Tons of fun! We will do it again. Hopefully, with more ducks next time!

    ReplyDelete