Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Pin is mightier than the hammer....

as I mentioned in a earlier email,  I managed to smash my finger trying to get the pin out of my 12 bolt rear end so I could remove the axles.

after some thought, I decided I had a plan on how to deal with this.

Step 1, hammer the pin where it sticks out of one end enough to get to, but not so much I cant spin the differential

Step 2, cut off the part of the pin that is exposed with a cut off wheel on a grinder

Step 3, lather rinse repeat.


Good plan right?

Step 1 went fine,
Step 2 went fine,
Step 3 did not.  As I was tapping it in, it slipped past the spindles and jammed into the spiders on the other side.

So now, the pin was sticking out too far and would not let the diff rotate.  That means I could not spin the diff where the pin pointed up to allow me to cut off the excess.

Dangit!

luckily the pin was now far enough out that I could get the axles out.  Slid them in, removed C clip, slid them out.  (that was the whole point of this exercise)

so now I had to remove the diff so I could get the pin out

didnt plan on removing the diff as that adds some more steps to the whole process


the rear end with the axles removed


the offending pin


And now I am going to need to get some work done externally to get this rear end put back together and working.


Oh boy...

Cherry Pie!

DD


No comments:

Post a Comment